German Design Award for stand-up pouch from Frosch

06-Oct-2020 - Mainz - Company-News

Sustainable packaging solution convinces experts with its design

This award shows that appealing design and ecological orientation are not mutually exclusive. The recyclable stand-up pouch from the Frosch brand has won the German Design Awards 2021 in the category "Excellent Communications Design – Eco Design"! The manufacturer Werner & Mertz of Mainz has received the award for "outstanding design quality" in the words of the international jury of experts.

"We are very happy about this award, which I see as recognition of the excellent cooperation involving Packaging Development, Marketing and Sales. Together we managed to develop a pouch that is recyclable at a high-quality level and convincing in its design," said Immo Sander, Head of Packaging Development at Werner & Mertz.

Copyright: Werner & Mertz

The high-quality recyclable refill pouch

The award winner is the world's first fully recyclable stand-up pouch of a monomaterial (polyethylene) with a removable printed label created in accordance with Cradle to Cradle® principles. About 85 percent of all the packaging material is not printed and therefore can be recycled without any loss of quality. Because the remaining 15 percent, the printed label, is free of adhesives and bonding agents, it too is completely recyclable and can flow back into new uses.

The patented stand-up pouch is the first packaging that complies with the three Rs – reduce, reuse and recycle. The pouch can be recycled completely, so the plastic remains in the closed material loop (recycle). Compared to a bottle, the pouch saves 70 percent on packaging material for the same amount of product (reduce). Finally, thanks to the refill packaging, a product bottle can be refilled repeatedly (reuse). Still another special feature: the original bottle for Werner & Mertz Frosch consumer brand consists of 100 percent used plastic from post-consumer household waste collections.

Attractive design and great user-friendliness

The pouch convinces not only with its sustainability, but also with its appearance and ease of use. It is equipped with a comfortable handle and a reclosable spout. The brand design is shown on the front label and all consumer information is listed on the back label. The plastic sheeting of the new pouch offers an added sensory benefit. The user can sniff the scent of the product on the packaging without having to open the pouch. This feature results in no loss of fragrance that is relevant to shelf life.

With this pouch, Werner & Mertz, in cooperation with the global packaging and paper company Mondi, gives consumers a way to contribute actively to environmental protection without having to make sacrifices.

The first Frosch refill pouches of this type are already on the market for dishwashing detergents and hand soaps. All remaining products will be converted to refill pouches this year.

About the German Design Award:

Since 2011 the German Design Award has been conferred by the German Design Council to honor innovative products and projects, manufacturers and designers in the German and international design sector. Award winners are chosen by an international jury of experts. The official awards ceremony will be held in February 2021.

Download als PDF

Press contact:
Werner & Mertz GmbH
Corporate Communication
Birgitta Schenz
Rheinallee 96
55120 Mainz

BSchenz@werner-mertz.com
Telefon +49 6131-964-20 28
Fax +49 6131-964-23 30