Sustainable Stand-up Pouch
German Packaging Award 2019
A completely recyclable stand-up pouch – an innovation from Werner & Mertz – won praise from the German Packaging Award jury. The prize-winning packaging was developed with cooperation partners in the Recyclate Initiative.
Recyclable pouch wins in the Sustainability category
"The great challenges of our time are packaging developments that are perfectly adapted to the recycling economy," the experts on the jury said about the innovative packaging which won in the Sustainability category. "This bag impressively demonstrates what can be achieved today with a consistent recycling approach to design." In May 2020 the stand-up pouch will be honored with the international WorldStar Packaging Award in Düsseldorf.
The patented packaging concept was developed in a joint project conducted by Werner & Mertz with the global packaging and paper company Mondi. "It takes a network to realize packaging for the circular economy and we – Mondi and Werner & Mertz – were prepared to take up the challenge," said Thomas Kahl, EcoSolutions Project Manager for Mondi Consumer Packaging. The result of the four years of cooperation is a completely recyclable pouch with removable wrap-around label developed in accordance with Cradle to Cradle® principles. The concept solves the problem of recycling printed plastics. There is no printing on approximately 85 percent of the total packaging material. That means that the material can be recycled at high quality without contamination from ink. Moreover, the remaining 15 percent, made up by the printed label, is completely recyclable. Because it contains no adhesives or bonding agents, it can flow back into new applications. The complete recyclability was recently certified by the independent Institute cyclos-HTP and Interseroh. In addition, the new packaging uses about 70 percent less material than rigid plastic bottles with the same fill volume.